You are getting ready to make a decision regarding residing your home in Naperville, Wheaton or Glen Ellyn. You need to examine and weigh the pros and cons of each of your options. Vinyl – Cement Fiber – Wood
1. Evaluate your neighborhood. Is it stable or rising in value? Are people fixing up or are your neighbors letting yards and exteriors deteriorate? This will help determine the material you choose.
2. The odds are if you live in the Western suburbs, your property values and your neighborhood is stable or rising in value. Yes, even with the housing bubble, property values have stabilized and are on the rise again.
3. You need to make sure that you have something that is going to be pleasing to look at and something that is going to last.
4. How long do you plan to stay in your home?
5. Think about curb appeal. Will siding help sell my home? Will it siding reduce market time for my home? Will siding facilitate a premium price when it is time to sell? Is it possible to actually turn a profit from this improvement?
1. Wood siding is beautiful – for 1or 2 years. Maintenance and the cost of that maintenance will soon dominate your budget and psyche.
2 Vinyl. A high quality vinyl siding looks great. It will last for years, and cleans easy enough with a spray from the hose and a brush. I have always thought some vinyl homes lack definition and detail. Some do look great. Usually the good ones are done with an .046 gauge vinyl from a brand name manufacturer, like Mastic vinyl siding, in the Quest or foam backed Structure line.
3. Cement Fiber Siding. Stunning looks, Crisp detail, bold colors or soft pastels. James Hardie Cement fiber siding is the class of this category.
1. Wood will be equal to and probably more than cement fiber.
2. Vinyl depends on what your purchase. .038 vinyl the storm chasers install is the lowest denominator. Foam backed insulated siding is the highest end for this category. Cost of the foam backed siding is surprisingly close to the cement fiber. Trade up!
3. Cement fiber. If the cost of a good line of vinyl siding is $10k, figure cement fiber will run around $12.5k for the same job.
Rules of thought according to Mike Schmidt Exteriors, Inc.
- Less than 5 years in a $200k or less neighborhood = vinyl siding
- >5 years < 10 years in a $250k or more neighborhood = vinyl is ok, cement fiber is probably a smarter choice.
- 5 years in a $400 or more neighborhood = cement fiber siding hands down.
Fact: According to Realtrac magazine, James Hardie Cement Fiber Siding is the #1 return on investment for any home improvement project for 8 years and running.
Have the siding installed by a Certified Contractor like Schmidt Exteriors, Inc.
Our men are technically trained, insured and each project is closely supervised.
A+ ratings @ BBB, Angies’ List, Remodeling Magazine and Guild Quality, attest to our accomplished reputation for excellence.
Please do give us a call and allow us to quote your project. I believe you will be pleased with the price and thrilled with our quality people.